If you ask me what 2 of my favorite foods in the entire world are, I’ll probably answer “bananas and natural peanut butter”. Although my reliance on peanut butter has dwindled from being one of my main food groups freshman year of college, it is a rare day that I don’t eat a banana. I am particular about my bananas and peanut butter though! My bananas must be slightly green to just turned yellow and if they have brown spots, they will be put in my freezer to be used later for baking. I always buy natural peanut butter with a sole ingredient, peanuts. I try to avoid peanut butters that adds salt or sugar and if it has hydrogenated oil in it, it is a no go as hydrogenated oil has trans fats in it, which never leave your body. Therefore, when I found this recipe for banana peanut butter oatmeal bars by Fit Foodie Finds, I was so excited! The recipe below yields 4 servings and it can be found originally here:
- 1 very ripe banana, medium
- 2 eggs, large
- 1/3 cup peanut butter, creamy (I recommend using natural!)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1.5 cups rolled oats
- 1/4 cup oat flour (or any kind of flour)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- First, preheat oven to 375ºF and spray a medium-size baking dish or cake pan with coconut oil cooking spray (I’m sure that PAM would work too).
- In a large bowl, mash 1 very ripe banana until liquid. Then, add in eggs, peanut butter, vanilla extract, maple syrup, and almond milk and mix until smooth.
- Add rolled oats, flour, baking powder, and salt, and mix until everything is thoroughly combined.
- Transfer batter into baking dish and slice a few bananas on top (I’m probably going to skip the bananas on top, but that is personal preference).
- Bake at 375º for about 30-40 minutes (it will depend on the size and depth of your baking dish) or until firm.
I can’t wait to try out these bars! I think I will make them on Sundays and then I can eat them for breakfast throughout the week. I’m sure they would also be good as a dessert with chocolate chips in them 🙂